Do you want to don your summer wardrobe and look amazing in those tank tops and dresses? If yes, then you need strong and toned arms to put a finishing touch to your summer look. Your triceps and biceps make up most of your upper body, and to keep them in shape, you need to add a workout specifically for arms, to your daily routine. Whether you're going to the gym or working out at home, we have the perfect workout for you to get rid of those sagging arms.
Expert's Tips for Lean Muscle
It doesn't matter what your age is or what your physique is like; every woman wants to look lean. But what does "lean" look like? Being lean means to have low body fat with visible muscles that make you look shapely. There are countless workout routines available to get a toned look, but our focus is mainly to get you in shape in a sustainable manner.
Before you hit the gym or start exercising at home, you need the proper apparel for your workout. Being a woman, a sports bra with support is the first thing you need to be able to go on with your routine with comfort and ease. Sports bra for women minimizes the breast movement during exercise and alleviates discomfort. Therefore, investing in a good quality sports bra with high support is recommended before you start any form of exercise.
A common misconception about workouts is that the heavier the weight of dumbbells, the stronger you will get. This is incorrect. The weights should be such that it doesn't restrict your arm movement. The secret to a good upper body workout is to keep your arms at your side. It would help if you used your biceps and triceps to move the weights, not your body. If you use your body to move the weights, your arm muscles won't be getting worked up, and the purpose of the workout would be lost. You have to stress the muscles to build a lean mass.
Now let's get to the five fat-combustion exercises that will sculpt your body and give you the ideal summer physique.
Biceps Curl for Forearms
A bicep curl is a very common weight-training exercise that mainly targets the muscles of the upper arm and, to some extent, the lower-arm. It is a beginner level exercise and can be done using dumbbells, kettlebells or barbells. The variation we are using can be done with simple 5 – 10 lb dumbbells.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with the arms straight down and palms facing in towards the thighs.
- Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Now, lift one dumbbell towards the shoulder, rotating your arm as it goes up.
- Your elbow should be close to your body.
- Perform the same movement with the other arm.
- You can do 3 sets of 5 curls with each arm for starters.
Lateral Arm Raise for Shoulder, Back and Arms
A lateral raise is a shoulder exercise that gives you a V-shaped torso. It is a simple exercise that focuses on the muscles of your upper back, arms, and neck.
- Stand straight with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Keep your back straight.
- Lift your arms out to the side, till they are parallel to the floor.
- Slowly bring them down to your sides.
- Do 10 -12 reps with perfect form.
Arms with Kettlebells
This particular workout is an all-rounder as it targets your core, legs, hips, and shoulder muscles. For this exercise, you need two 10 lb kettlebells.
- Hold one kettlebell in each hand and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold your arms straight out and perform a squat.
- Do 10 -12 reps of this exercise.
Continuous Dumbbell Punch for Whole Upper Body
Continuous Dumbbell Punches work all the muscles of the upper body. You require two dumbbells of 5 -10 lbs. To perform this exercise smoothly, a high impact sports bra is recommended.
- Hold one dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and bring out one arm in a punching motion.
- Repeat the same with the other arm.
- Do 3 sets of 10 punches with each arm.
Dumbbell Row for Upper Back and Shoulders
Dumbbell Row is an ideal workout for your shoulders and upper back.
- Place both your palm and knees on the floor.
- Hold a dumbbell in one hand and lift it such that the upper arm is parallel to the floor.
- The other hand should remain on the ground.
- Do 8 -10 lifts with each arm.
Before starting any exercise routine, don't forget to don the perfect sportswear. A high impact sports bra with padding paired with good quality gym leggings with pockets will keep you comfortable and at ease while you go on with your workout. It is essential to dress accordingly so that you can perform the exercise without any discomfort or hindrance.